Saturday 30 November 2013

Jurassic Park - Novel [This ones not for kids]

When we think of Jurassic Park we think of the awesome movie we all have seen at some points in our lives and if like me.. also launched your obsession with dinos as a kid. But the novel is a very different thing and very much not for the kids. 


Forget about Sam L Jackson, the kindly old grandfather who loves kids and dinosaurs, the dashing looking Dr Grant and the soft core you are used to in the movie and prepare yourself for balding Ian Malcome, pony tail ownig Grant, money grabbing spoiled brat Hammond and compys eating new born baby face.

After reading loads of novels based on J horror such as GRUDGE, RING and BATTLE ROYAL I am no stranger to how different a book and a movie can be but I had no idea how different these two could be, was a shock and a surprise but very awesome.

Micheal Crichton's style is good, I enjoy it he writes well and is very descriptive in everything. My main moan about the book which I think most people enjoy but I am a fucking moron is all the yapping about how the dino's are made and it even goes into mega detail with pictures and spread sheets all over the place. 

I really love how through the book you get graphs of the dino's in the park and find out when they start to breed.

First thing I noticed that was very different was one of the opening scenes in book one is the opning scene to another movie. The little girl on the beach and then the compys try and steal her sandwhich? yeah that's how it starts.

I think I first realised this book was alot more gory then I had any idea about was when compys snuck into a hospital and a midwife goes to check on a baby and compys are eating it's face. And then the local boy who got attacked by a raptor and the details of that.

The book sets som amazing scenes and it's never dragging it out or boring, it paints a picture without making you just think 'action now please!' the gore is good and well written and will make you want to rewatch JP and think of all the bits thy cut and be sad.. I know I did.

Another HUGE change was the kids... it was an older boy and a younger girl and the younger girl is so mind numbingly annoying you'll be begging for both the kids from the movie back but Timmy being the older one is pretty cool now.

I don't want to go into the differnces too much as I want people reading to find out for themslves but I do suggst reading it. It's a fantastic read and really not kid friendly.

Plot: 5/5
Writhing: 5/5
Scares: 1/5
Gore: 4/5
Overall: 5/5

Last note: MOTHER FUCKING DINOSAURS


Love XJigsawX


No comments:

Post a Comment